Re: Re: SWISH++ 1.3 released

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 20:11:13 GMT
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Dan Brickley wrote:

> 2. Paul swallows his pride and admits that some of his messages to the
> SWISH-E mailing list might have erred on the side of arrogance,

	This has nothing to do with pride.  In a previous follow-up to
	this thread, I freely admitted that I often come off as
	arrogant.

> and that splitting the development trajectory and developer community for
> SWISH would be an unfortunate outcome.

	It was split when I released SWISH++.  I *had* to write SWISH++
	to solve my problem because no other freely-available indexing
	and search engine would.

	I've stated before that SWISH-E and SWISH++ are unrelated
	except for a similar name (I didn't feel like spending lots of
	my time trying to think of a catchy name) and the generosity of
	the SWISH-E mailing list maintainers to permit messages
	regarding SWISH++.

	So the issue is not about a split, but rather a merger.  Since
	SWISH-E and SWISH++ are unrelated, why not ask if SWISH-E can
	be merged with glimpse?  Or <insert search engine here>?
	(Glimpse does have a few nice features of its own that neither
	SWISH-E nor SWISH++ have, e.g., finding misspelled words,
	regular expressions, incremental indexing, etc.)

	(From observation, 99% of the messages regard SWISH-E.  This
	shouldn't be too surprising since that's what the list is for;
	but it does make me wonder why there isn't more traffic on
	SWISH++.  It's either because the number of people who are
	using SWISH++ is extremely small or that SWISH++ compiles,
	installs, and works "out of the box" and that the documentation
	is clear thus nobody needs to ask questions.  I have received
	private correspondence from several SWISH++ users and even a
	few patches, however, some there are some SWISH++ users out
	there.)

> 3. We all look seriously at integration of some swish-e innovations ...
> spidering ... in a swish++ context ...

	I don't understand why you (presumeably as a webmaster for your
	website) wants to use a spider to index somebody else's web
	site.

	- Paul