Re: RE: Combining SWISH++ and Swish-E

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 19:31:57 GMT
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Mark Gaulin wrote:

> My point was that is would be great to have the source code open via a remote
> RCS system, so someone could simply check out the files they wanted to change
> and have the rest of the code come out of the "official" source code
> repository.

	You must be joking.  First, it's an enormous amout of overhead
	that, IMHO, doesn't solve any real problem.  Second, it's a
	HUGE security hole to allow anybody to check-out, change, and
	CHECK BACK IN TO THE OFFICIAL SOURCE unchecked modifications.
	What's to stop some person with malicious intent from
	introducing bad code?

> I figured C++ is the way to go from here on out [since] that effort had
> substantial benefits such as improved performance and robustness when dealing
> with large indexes.

	You clearly don't understand software.  There is no correlation
	between the choice of language and performance and robustness.

	(I mean this for languages in the same "class" such as C and
	C++, but I would also put Pascal, Ada, and FORTRAN into the
	same class.  Obviously, you're not going to get the same
	performance out of interpreted languages.)

	You can write very fast and robust programs in C.  I *could*
	have written SWISH++ in C and it would have been as fast and
	robust as it is now.  I chose to write SWISH++ in C++ because
	it was easier for me to do so (especially with the
	standardization of STL and my ability to put a wrapper around
	mmap).

> From what I've seen you did a great job with swish++ and moving both efforts
> into one common project could have been of value to everyone.

	SWISH++'s source is open for the world to see and use.  It uses
	a better (O(lg n), worst case, rather than O(n), worst case)
	algorithm and mmap for fast I/O.  The SWISH-E team can read
	that source code and use it if they so choose.

	- Paul