Re: RE: Combining SWISH++ and Swish-E

From: Mark Gaulin <gaulin(at)not-real.globalspec.com>
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 18:25:25 GMT
Hi Paul
Oh yeah, now I remember why I went with swish-e...

My point was that is would be great to have the source code
open via a remote RCS system, so someone could simply
check out the files they wanted to change and have the rest
of the code come out of the "official" source code repository.

I also think that a group-effect is probably more suited to
the jump to distributed development since they might have
the resources to host the RCS system. I also think that a
group has more built-in checks and balances, and can be
more tolerant to new users and requests for features than
some one-person projects that come to mind.

Lastly, I figured C++ is the way to go from here on out (vs C).
esp since there was already a considerable effort along
those lines, and that effort had substantial benefits such as
improved performance and robustness when dealing with large
indexes.  From what I've seen you did a great job with swish++
and moving both efforts into one common project could have
been of value to everyone. Oh well.

Later
	Mark