Re: SWISH++ 1.3 released

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 17:15:52 GMT
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Earl Robinson wrote:

> Regarding new versions of Swish[-e|++].. Is anyone planning to move features
> of swish++ into the swish-e codebase.

	I'm not; I have no idea what other people's plans are.

> I want to use Swish++ with Autoswish.

	(In what follows, preceed everything with "IMHO.")

	I see no reason for AutoSWISH to exist (which is why I didn't
	write an equivalent for SWISH++).  It appears to be simply a
	web wrapper around SWISH-E to solve the problem of you having
	to RTFM to learn how to use the command-line options and config
	files.  (SWISH++ doesn't use config files so, in some sense,
	it's simpler to use.)  I don't consider that a worthy problem to
	be solved.

	If you can download a tar file, untar it, set compilation
	options, tweak makefiles, and build and install the software,
	you presumeably have enough of the right background experience
	to be able to use SWISH++ via the command-line (or writing a
	simple makefile or cronjob to automate your own task).

	The *searching* part needs custom web wrappers; the *indexing*
	part doesn't; or am I missing something?

	- Paul

	P.S.: SWISH++ users have submitted suggestions (and even
	patches in some cases!) for enhancements to SWISH++.  Nobody to
	date has written an AutoSWISH equivalent.  My conclusion is
	that it's not needed by the people whom SWISH++ is targeted at.