Re: problems with indexing <META> tags

From: Giulia Hill <ghill(at)not-real.library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 16:34:30 GMT
Tim,

the two ways to tag words with meta tags are:
<META NAME="keyName" CONTENT="someContent">

<!-- META START NAME="keyName" --> someContent <!-- META END -->

Where keyName is added to the user configuration file.
You might want to check the manual about it:
http://sunsite.Berkeley.EDU/SWISH-E/Manual/metatags.html

Let me know how it goes,
Giulia

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Tim Hutchinson wrote:

> This seems to have come up on this list before, but
> I've been unable to find a complete answer.
>
> Are there problems associated with indexing with
> <META>?  To date, I've been unable to make this
> work.  The index file recognizes the existence of
> the meta tags -- that is, the tags are listed in
> the decoded index file (but the associated words
> are flagged "1", i.e. not associated with a meta tag).
> Any searches within meta tags result in no records
> found.  On the other hand, a search for the same
> keyword *not* restricting to the meta name is successful.
> And if you try to search for a meta name not in the configuration
> file, there's an error.
>
> I tried tagging the html documents in every
> possible way --
>   <META NAME= CONTENT=>
>   <METADATA NAME=....>
>   <!-- META BEGIN ....
>
> What could be going wrong?  Any suggestions
> would be appreciated
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

> Tim Hutchinson			University of Saskatchewan Archives
> hutchinson@sklib.usask.ca	301 Main Library, 3 Campus Drive
> 				Saskatoon, SK  S7N 5A4
> 				tel: (306) 966-7253   fax: (306) 966-6040

/*  Giulia Hill                        Library Systems Office  */
/*                                     386 Doe Library         */
/*  ghill@library.berkeley.edu         U.C. Berkeley,          */
/*                                     Berkeley, CA 94720      */