Antw: [SWISH-E:419] Re: indexing PDF

From: Rainer Scherg RTC <Rainer.Scherg(at)not-real.rexroth.de>
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 08:25:00 GMT
Patrick Fitzgerald wrote:

Hello!

> >I've made some enhancements to swish-e 1.1 to index Non-Text or HTML
> >files (e.g. to get PDF-files indexed) [I've sent the code changes to
> > Roy].
>
> Could you describe the code changes?

Starting a filter program as child process. The output of the filter prog
will be piped to the swish-e process. It was a minor change to the "Index
the current file" - routine of swish-e. It was more work to do to build in
the config file directives.

>  Do you directly index the PDF files?

Yes. - I've implemented a FileFilter option, which enable you to include
filters for any filetype.
e.g. for PDF the entry in the config file:

     FileFilter  .pdf   _pdf_filter.sh

The _pdf_filter.sh - prog is very simple:

#!/bin/sh
pdftotext "$1" - 2>/dev/null

... using the xpdf utility  (pdftotext).

> To index PDF files, I implemented the following workaround:
>
> 1. For every PDF file (for example, "myfile.pdf"), create a file
> "myfile.pdf.html" that contains the plain text to be indexed.
> [...]

That's is to complicated to handle for me in practice. ;-)
The filter progs have to convert the contents of a file (pdf, word, xls)
to standard text and printing it on STDOUT.

cu -- Rainer