Re: [SWISH-E:329] A new search engine for swish-e

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 16:38:47 GMT
On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Michael Ingvarsson wrote:

> The degree project consisted in creating a search engine that keeps the
> information, swish-e 1.1 indices, in memory all the time to speed up the
> search by several orders of magnitude!

	Uhm...it's the indexing that takes all the time, not the
	searching.  SWISH-E is plenty fast enough for searching.  Or is
	there something I'm missing about why you're doing what you're
	doing?

	- Paul

	P.S. FYI: SWISH++, by virtue of mmap(2), effectively does load
	the entire index into memory increasing the speed of results,
	but it's mostly because I'm lazy and doing the code that way is
	easier than parsing the index file.