A new search engine for swish-e

From: Michael Ingvarsson <michael(at)not-real.geneura.ugr.es>
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 11:58:58 GMT
Hi,

We are two students from the University of Linkoping in
Sweden. We have made our degree project at the University
of Granada in Spain. The degree project consisted in creating
a search engine that keeps the information, swish-e 1.1 indices,
in memory all the time to speed up the search by several orders
of magnitude!

In order to do this we created a search engine written in Java
using servlets, RMI and hashtables to store the information. The
result is a very fast search engine that sends the answer from the
search dynamically to the user.

To get the information we use Wget to download a web-site and swish-e
to index the information downloaded.

For the moment the search engine is used for the daily news from
some Spanish newspapers, but it can also be used for other kinds
of information. If you are interested in this search engine you can
find it at the adress:

ftp://geneura.ugr.es/pub/mercurio

It is completely free and we hope that it will be very useful. There
is also a version running at:

http://krypton.ugr.es:8999/search-es

This version is more advanced and can also keep a list of users but
the version that can be downloaded is only used for searching.

Thanks for Your time,

Andersson N. nicklas@technologist.com
Ingvarsson M. michael@geneura.ugr.es
Merelo J.J jmerelo@kal-el.ugr.es