Re: [SWISH-E:311] Indexing file context?

From: Roy Tennant <rtennant(at)not-real.library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 19:47:27 GMT
On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 ryan_patridge@mcgraw-hill.com wrote:

>      He said he wrote a small Perl script that would call SWISH-E to return
>      a list of files containing whatever keywords had been searched for,
>      then the script would go thru that list of files and return the search
>      results in addition to the context around the keyword in that file.

I could imagine doing such a thing by greping, but to do it right would
take some time. That is, you would first have to grep each search word,
drop duplicates, and create a usable display. That last part is no trivial
thing if you are indexing HTML files. You would need to strip out the
markup, or else you would end up with a funky display (tags turned on but
never turned off). Also, I'm not a really big fan of seeing the context of
my search words. It hardly ever seems all that helpful and it sure
clutters up the results screen. Anyone who has ever used Harvest knows
what I'm talking about. I'd much prefer to put abstracts in my files and
fetch those.
Roy Tennant