Re: [SWISH-E:227] Bogus Hits on <SELECT><OPTION> content

From: Giulia Hill <ghill(at)not-real.library.berkeley.EDU>
Date: Thu Apr 02 1998 - 18:32:47 GMT
Unfortunately there is no tag to avoid indexing of specific istances of a
word.

Giulia

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Tom Malaher wrote:

> One of my clients has a site with one of those pulldown
> quick-jump menus on every page.
>
> <SELECT NAME="Go">
> <OPTION VALUE="topic1">Topic One
> <OPTION VALUE="place2">Place Two
> </SELECT>
>
> The problem is that this means that if you search for "Topic", it finds
> every page.  Or worse, the index has decided that the word "Topic" is now
> too common and won't even index it.
>
> Since the text "Topic One" is not inside an HTML tag, swish correctly
> interprets it as content to be indexed.
>
> Is there any easy way to cause swish to ignore everything inside
> a certain set of <TAG> ... </TAG> pairs, or am I gonna have to hack
> source code...?
>
> Tom

/*  Giulia Hill                        Library Systems Office  */
/*                                     386 Doe Library         */
/*  ghill@library.berkeley.edu         U.C. Berkeley,          */
/*                                     Berkeley, CA 94720      */