Re: [SWISH-E:191] Re: Context of hits

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 15:53:38 GMT
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Mark Fuller-ACUS10 wrote:

> (I assume from this response Swish-E doesn't display context?).

	Correct.

> I don't know what sort of overhead would be involved.

	Copying the first 50-100 words of every file into the index.

> I believe GLIMPSE shows context, but not sure how the index size compares to
> Swish-E, but they don't seem ridiculous in size.  If such were possible in
> Swish-E it would be nice to have it as a configurable option at least

	But it works well only for HTML (assuming you parse out any
	JavaScript) and text files; my application indexes all sorts of
	files, so it's of less use.

	Also note that there is a difference between "context" and
	"synopsis": the latter is what most search engines do, i.e.,
	give you the first 50-100 words of a file; the former gives you
	50-100 words *around* the hit word.  The former is harder to do.

	- Paul J. Lucas
	  NASA Ames Research Center		Caelum Research Corporation
	  Moffett Field, California		San Jose, California
	  <pjl AT ptolemy DOT arc DOT nasa DOT gov>