Re: [SWISH-E:165] More?

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 16:39:46 GMT
On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Hadean Dragon wrote:

> I'm hoping to be able to create my own small "search engine" for children...

	There's no such thing as a small search engine.

	[ snip ]

> If so, how would I go about making Swish-E search everything?

	If by "everything" you mean "the entire web," then you'd have
	to retrofit stuff for doing HTTP connections out to the web.

> What kind of computer system would I need for that?

	A really, really big one.  We're talking a really fast machine
	with gigs of memory and disk farms filling entire rooms.  You
	clearly don't appreciate the magnitude of the problem.  Got a
	few hundred thousand dollars to spare?

	- Paul J. Lucas
	  NASA Ames Research Center		Caelum Research Corporation
	  Moffett Field, California		San Jose, California
	  <pjl AT ptolemy DOT arc DOT nasa DOT gov>