Re: [SWISH-E:114] Indexing off-site html

From: Ron Klatchko <ron(at)not-real.ckm.ucsf.edu>
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 21:38:28 GMT
Jerry Kuntz wrote:
> Maybe I'm being obtuse today, but technically what limits SWISH-E
> from indexing HTML documents on other servers? Or can it be done?

Just the fact that no one has implemented it.  It shouldn't be too
difficult.  In the file index.c, you'll find the functions indexadir and
indexafile.  These functions and the functions they call assume that
files are local.  You would need to add code so that remote files can be
read.  You would also need to add some spider code so that it knows how
to follow links and when to stop following them.

I've thought about the same idea for a while.  I've just been waiting
until I have some free time on my hands to implement it.

moo
              Ron Klatchko - Senior Software Engineer
                      ron@ckm.ucsf.edu