Maximum length of HTML titles

From: Steve Shearman <steve(at)>
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 22:13:40 GMT
>I've been using SWISH for some time now, with generally excellent results.
>However, I've come up against a limit on the size of the html title text
>that SWISH can return after a query - it seems to be around 5-600 characters.
>Has anyone else experienced a limit on the length of the title string?
>Does anyone know how to overcome this?

This limit is defined by a constant in one of the files (cant remember off

I have successfully extended the constant, recompiled and run with very long
title tags.
(Great for embedding data you want to get at later).

Steve Shearman
WebMasters Ltd       Internet Marketing, Web Site Development and Hosting
P.O. 108189          Email             :
Auckland             WWW               :
New Zealand          Access NZ         :
                     Phone             : 373 9987 (Auckland)
		     Mobile	       : 021 621 944
                     Customer Services : (07) 855 0036 (Hamilton)
                     Fax               : (07) 855 0062 (Hamilton)
                     Toll Free         : (0800) ACCESS or (0800) 222-377