out of memory

From: Ken McVay <kmcvay(at)not-real.nizkor.org>
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 21:44:16 GMT
I've compiled swish-e on my FreeBSD 2.2.5 box, but can't get worthwhile results,
due to memory restrictions. (I'm running a Pentium 166 with 64 megs of RAM.)

I note that http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SWISH-E/manual.html#3 mentions out of
memory errors, and that it suggests concatenating smaller indices.

I have about 4000 html files on the web, and 780 megs of raw text... trying to
generate hundreds of small indices would really be a problem. Isn't there some
way to get swish-e to write its index to disk as it works, rather than doing it
all in RAM? Providing disk space would be easy - but trying to index the entire
800+ megs in pieces would be a nightmare...

(Trying to find a search engine for FreeBSD is driving me nuts :-))

--
The Nizkor Project----------------->Remember: http://www.nizkor.org
------------->http://www.theconvergence.com/columns/kmcvay/11041997